Replies

• Hi David,

Thanks for your response. The solar storms are predicted to interfere with anything electronic - so I can leave that to your imagination.

I'm working with a group of London Based Risk Management Practitioners on the London issues. The Institute of Risk Management has agreed to post a survey to their membership to see if we can provide some better intelligence on this, including some figures and facts. At the moment, it looks as if it's going to be a tough time for all public bodies as well as private sector organisations - big risks, but also big opportunities.

More to follow in due course, but in the meantime, if anyone has any comments, that would be great.

Regards,

Liz

David G Wilson said:

Liz

Interesting presentation and I think that firms must really extend their horizon...but not merely as far as timeline or "major events" are concerned! Have you worked with specific figures?

I would have thought it is a more robust approach for Risk Managers to advocate a strategy that focuses upon something tangible and measurable, like building operational resilience, rather than losses related to such a narrow range of, albeit significant, events and scenarios.

As far as solar storms are concerned I would recommend Factor 30 or higher! It won't save you but, if its the end of the World, all you'll have spent is about a fiver. 

I hope I'm not missing some terribly obvious point here!

Best

David

• Liz

Interesting presentation and I think that firms must really extend their horizon...but not merely as far as timeline or "major events" are concerned! Have you worked with specific figures?

I would have thought it is a more robust approach for Risk Managers to advocate a strategy that focuses upon something tangible and measurable, like building operational resilience, rather than losses related to such a narrow range of, albeit significant, events and scenarios.

As far as solar storms are concerned I would recommend Factor 30 or higher! It won't save you but, if its the end of the World, all you'll have spent is about a fiver. 

I hope I'm not missing some terribly obvious point here!

Best

David

• Hi Stuart,

What news is there regarding the increase in Solar Storms in 2012??

I'm also doing some work on the agregation of risks in London in summer 2012 - looks like lots of firms will need to have a look at how they will be affected......

timing of risks to London 2012.ppt

• Fair point Stuart. Something that, as you will note from the attached, has been (very much) on my mind.

Updated: Enterprise Risk Management & Complexity analysis

David
This reply was deleted.

About Us

The GlobalRisk Community is a thriving community of risk managers and associated service providers. Our purpose is to foster business, networking and educational explorations among members. Our goal is to be the worlds premier Risk forum and contribute to better understanding of the complex world of risk.

Business Partners

For companies wanting to create a greater visibility for their products and services among their prospects in the Risk market: Send your business partnership request by filling in the form here!

lead