It's not a big secrete that Risk managers face very stressful situations. 

Emotional exhaustion and burnout are widespread among top performers in general and in Risk Management in particular. The danger comes from ignoring burnout symptoms as you are waiting for others and the context of your work to change.

How do you know if you're suffering from burnout and how to prevent it?

What are your thoughts on this topic? Share it all below in the comments section.

You need to be a member of Global Risk Community to add comments!

Join Global Risk Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree with the indicators mentioned by others.  Another one is withdrawal from normal activities. Understanding your personal indicators (as we all respond differently) is important to treating symptoms early before they get to full burnout. 

My own ways of dealing with stress are exercise, more frequent contact with those who tend to balance me or whose company I enjoy (you don't need to share you need balance), resetting priorities and having a symbol of a good moment readily available which I can access to focus on what's important. And make regular time for yourself.

• Emotional exhaustion and burnout is quite common in top performers or type A personality. As they desire to achieve a level of perfection, which many times requires too much time, energy, focus, jeopardizing their family and leisure life. The initial symptoms of anxiety may go unnoticed. When the person start showing signs of irritability/lethargy and he/or she finds difficulty to function to their maximum. It signals that person is exhibiting signs and symptoms of Emotional Exhaustion, which if not taken care of might lead to full blown sings/symptoms of depression. 

The best thing is to learn the basics of emotional intelligence. It would be better for the person to take a short break or add more relaxing activities, such as, yoga, swimming, cooking for healthiny eating to his schedule. Redefining the targets could also alleviate the symptoms. 

• Here a few of my thoughts:

The mantra I was given for figuring if you were suffering from burnout was when you get to the stage when big issues look small and small issues look big.  In finance you worry about the pennies rather than the dollars or pounds and the big picture.

I worked with one senior director and he told me his symptoms of burnout were thinking that the company could not do without him. So he did not take holidays and was always looking at his emails at home after hours trying to do everything.  Eventually the parent company closed the subsidiary he was running due to it not making enough profits.  In a private moment during the closure process the director said that the biggest mistake he made was not learning to walk away and switch off.   I guess this is the same as the contents of my first comment in another format.

Finally, another sign is when the frustrations at work come home with you and instead of seeking some support in the family environment you start criticising family members for the most insignificant of issues.  Learn to recognise your own changes in behaviour as this is a sure sign of approaching crash and burn as well.

• Boris - good discussion to open up.  I'll kick off some feedback for you and this is the parts I know about myself after 15 years in front line management positions through to General Manager of Operations and then 5 years of Risk Management consulting.

One think I seem to naturally have is to virtually ignore the stuff I cant control or have an impact on.  If you dont burden yourself with the stuff you cant control it can make a big difference.  That said you also have to be innovative and look for and cease opportunities to have an impact in everything you can.  Sometimes you think things are out of your hands - but I have been surprised how often it is possible to influenec things in your favour (the positive side of risk).

I have two warning signs that let me know I am stressed:

1)  I can feel the tension build up across my shoulders; and

2)  My wife asks why I'm grumpy (this one sometimes comes up when I don't even realize I have a problem).

The way out of it seems top always be the same for me - plan my way out.  Take the time out, formulate a plan and then ACT.  For me, once I have a plan, I know what I am doing, I can let others know, we can refine and improve things together and the team then has direction also.  

At a personal level I have learnt to manage work at work and home life at home (even in this age of constant emails on smartphones - I generally only respond out of hours to linked in and other professional curiosity messages when I have chosen to check-in).  I have an easy swap as I have a fairly brisk 30min bike ride each way between work and home - it's easy to switch over after concentrating in the dark on those bumps in the pathway or managing conflict with pedestrians or cars at various stages in the journey).  Equally there is a need to be flexible - know when to work hard and late, and equally be prepared to pinch time back for family things like late starts on birthday mornings - spend the day with your wife on your anniversary etc.  And when there is a conflict err on the side of family (it means you can do the work thing when it really is important).

Hope this is the sort of stuff you where after.

Cheers

• If you're asking this question, its possible you're already suffering from early symptoms of burnout. 

I've been there many times - my recommendation is book yourself a week holiday, then in 3 weeks book another one. Rinse and repeat.

Many shorter breaks are better than one big one once a year. Your body needs time to rest, to soak up sunshine (Vitamin D, proven to lower stress hormone response) and to recuperate.  

• I think the biggest issue is the fact that most risk management people are always under a considerable amount of stress so we get used to being that way (and used to the pressure and effects it has on us). When we finally realize we are stressed out - it is extreme and very high on the tolerance chart. What we all need to do is find a way to recognize the stress at a lower level and to start dealing with it there, rather than plowing through (which seems normal). Since stress is a cumulative problem, our need for daily calming / meditation of some sort is paramount for us to keep our sharp edge.

• All of the above comments are right. But the worst scenario is when you somatizes the burnout and involves your family on it, Is the time to decide: your health (physical and psycological) or your bank account. Which is first?

All of the above comments are right. But the worst scenario is when you somatizes the burnout and involves your family on it, Is the time to decide: your health (physical and psycological) or your bank account. Which is first?

• You know you're suffering from burnout when you lose your drive and motivation; the job stops being interesting and the only reason you go to work is because you need the paycheck....on a lighter note you know it when you regularly hate Mondays and love Fridays :)

• For me it's when I get really tired, can't concentrate and get frustrated. Sometimes you just have to step away and do something else; I find engaging in a physical activity works well. It also helps to remind myself how fortunate I am.

Cheers,

Nancy 

• It is indeed fazed moods(feel confused, shocked, or upset),heavy legs and total fatigue mental,physical and what not.Hard to understand the meaning of even the easiest word.This is how I can express.
This reply was deleted.

[Free COVID-19 Framework] What's the path to recovery look like?

We created a free presentation (attached), which discusses both global and organizational impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, along with critical actions organizations should take immediately. This presentation introduces a framework that helps regions and organizations navigate a path to recovery via 9 potential scenarios. These scenarios capture outcomes related to GDP impact, public health response, and economic policies. The presentation also breaks down 6 immediate and critical actions…

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Steve Diaz Jul 8, 2023
Views: 204

If risk management is about decision making, are current risk management solutions irrelevant?

Now that the updated COSO and ISO risk management standards emphasize a connection to enterprise objectives and decision making, does this mean ERM and GRC solutions focused on risk registers and regulatory compliance are missing the true value of risk management?Will current risk management solutions evolve to integrate more decision support functionality or will standalone prescriptive analytics and other technology solutions take a more prominent role in enabling risk-informed…

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 129

A question related to classification of instruments between trading and banking book.

We have an interesting question from one of our members.       "We usually perform OTC FX transactions with clients backed-to-back on the market (with Banks). Now we are going to perform a FX swap (i.e. Spot + forward) JPY/EUR for the Bank account for 1 week at the longest. The purpose is to get EUR place @ CB for LCR compliance purpose (no trading purposes). Bank's Management think that this should be considered as a trading position and therefore be classified within the Bank's trading book.…

Read more…
5 Replies · Reply by Prisha Singh Dec 26, 2023
Views: 310

Plunging oil prices: curse or blessing in disguise?

The recent sudden crash of oil prices has had a major impact on the world economy, leading to many troubled faces in the international arena. The Russians fear the effects of yet another powerful hit on their economy, Venezuela seems to be considering default and the Americans are weary of the consequences for its young and emerging shale oil industry. And then you have the Middle East, where the smallest match is enough to ignite the largest fire. But are these worries really justified or…

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 90

Introducing the Global Risk Series - Book 1 Risk Management How Tos

Dear GlobalRisk Community member, Our community’s mission is to foster business, networking and educational explorations among members. Learn from some of the top experts in the industry as they clearly explain how to approach the most important Risk management concepts. Check out their expert tips and use the link at the end of each article to navigate back to the website to leave your comment or ask a question.   Some of the topics include: How do you Explain Risk Appetite?  How to Prepare a…

Read more…
16 Replies · Reply by GlobalRiskCommunity Mar 21
Views: 889

About Us

The GlobalRisk Community is a thriving community of risk managers and associated service providers. Our purpose is to foster business, networking and educational explorations among members. Our goal is to be the worlds premier Risk forum and contribute to better understanding of the complex world of risk.

Business Partners

For companies wanting to create a greater visibility for their products and services among their prospects in the Risk market: Send your business partnership request by filling in the form here!

lead