Many of our members are constantly asking questions related to the various software solutions available for trade and risk management such as Murex, Calypso, Kondor, Misys and so on.

I would like to open this discussion forum so that members who have experience with such packages could post their opinion or point others in the right direction regarding valuable resources on this theme.

The most important topics are  

1.       Comparison of various vendors offering trade management software, their specific weaknesses and strengths

2.       Trends and perspectives in this industry segment

You need to be a member of Global Risk Community to add comments!

Join Global Risk Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Are these real risk management software or just point estimate makers?

I'm using Crystal Ball from Oracle.

• Boris, great topic. At the National Australia Bank Calypso, Misys and Murex are all used in various areas for various purposes. ON top of this they have built and purchased numerous other risk and pricing applications to support business objectives, such as Vector Risk, Credient, Experian, SAS and now moving towards Oracle solutions. Whats interesting is that the NAB, and I know many other financial organisations are similar as I have worked with a few, cannot seem to settle with whats off the shelf! Products are either not fit for purpose, dont meet requirements, or are close but need customisation, or we are in a market where there IS NO product and end up buidling our own (which is the space we play in - developing internal applications for risk based business problems and opportunities). External Vendors then play catch up with their offerring. I think the trend at least from the customers perspecitve, although only speaking for myself here, is towards more all encompassing solutions - web based, shared storage, automated workflows, parameterisable components, admin updates rather than technology involvement, and so on. IN this environment customers are seeking more bang for their buck with advanced and extensive business functionality, rather than an application which might excel at only one thing.............

• I've been using Attensa StreamServer to gather, organize and deliver relevant information — tailored to the unique requirements of an individual employee, customer or partner — a process can be quickly and easily repeated for individuals within workgroups, departments or across an entire enterprise. See www.attensa.com for more information. 

• All, below is a quote from a user of StratexPoint, a SharePoint application for Strategy and Risk Management (www.stratexsystems.com). They are a partner company to my consultancy, Manigent.

In 2008, we started a journey to ingrain a new approach to risk management. In spite of the financial difficulties experienced in our market, significant benefits have been achieved which have made a difference to HML’s bottom line:
    ·         A 94% reduction in the value of errors
    ·         A 63% reduction in the volume of errors
    Risk is an inevitable part of every organisation. By using an integrated and proactive approach to managing risk, negative consequences can be controlled and opportunities for growth and success exploited.
    When we (Manigent) undertake Risk Framework design and deployment exercises, we embed StratexPoint in our  consultancy process and we have achieved some great results for/with our clients.
  • I have experience with ThinkTank Collaboration Software.  It is used by several "Big Four" for risk assessment engagements in their Enterprise Risk Management practice. The software is a web based, interactive application supporting effective team collaboration. It supports brainstorming, action planning and decision making quite effectively. The software automates the identify, categorize, prioritize and risk mitigation process.  It allows anonymous contributions concurrently enabling the entire group to visualize the discussion for a candid discussion while saving significant time and generating more ideas. It has really cool analytic capabilities to allow the group to vote on each risk to determine the probability, impact or any other important criteria to allow the group to evaluate. The ideas are captured allowing a report to immediately be generated or session result to act as a workspace for future discussion, action planning and follow up. 

• This is a very interesting topic. In my case, my main experience is around Murex. It is a very powerful system although hard (and expensive) to maintain. In terms of product coverage Murex is one of the best trading platforms. It covers the most exotic OTC derivatives but it is not that good for cash products. With regards to Risk Management they are now investing heavily in the Historical Simulation VaR mainly due to the agreement with LCH to compute VaR for thousands of swaps almost in realtime. It lacks functionality for the buy side when having to measure in relative terms, against benchmarks. They are currently developing this module and will be ready soon to support traditional asset managers through the 3.1 version.

This reply was deleted.

[Free COVID-19 Framework] What's the path to recovery look like?

We created a free presentation (attached), which discusses both global and organizational impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, along with critical actions organizations should take immediately. This presentation introduces a framework that helps regions and organizations navigate a path to recovery via 9 potential scenarios. These scenarios capture outcomes related to GDP impact, public health response, and economic policies. The presentation also breaks down 6 immediate and critical actions…

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Steve Diaz Jul 8, 2023
Views: 204

If risk management is about decision making, are current risk management solutions irrelevant?

Now that the updated COSO and ISO risk management standards emphasize a connection to enterprise objectives and decision making, does this mean ERM and GRC solutions focused on risk registers and regulatory compliance are missing the true value of risk management?Will current risk management solutions evolve to integrate more decision support functionality or will standalone prescriptive analytics and other technology solutions take a more prominent role in enabling risk-informed…

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 129

A question related to classification of instruments between trading and banking book.

We have an interesting question from one of our members.       "We usually perform OTC FX transactions with clients backed-to-back on the market (with Banks). Now we are going to perform a FX swap (i.e. Spot + forward) JPY/EUR for the Bank account for 1 week at the longest. The purpose is to get EUR place @ CB for LCR compliance purpose (no trading purposes). Bank's Management think that this should be considered as a trading position and therefore be classified within the Bank's trading book.…

Read more…
5 Replies · Reply by Prisha Singh Dec 26, 2023
Views: 308

Plunging oil prices: curse or blessing in disguise?

The recent sudden crash of oil prices has had a major impact on the world economy, leading to many troubled faces in the international arena. The Russians fear the effects of yet another powerful hit on their economy, Venezuela seems to be considering default and the Americans are weary of the consequences for its young and emerging shale oil industry. And then you have the Middle East, where the smallest match is enough to ignite the largest fire. But are these worries really justified or…

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 90

Introducing the Global Risk Series - Book 1 Risk Management How Tos

Dear GlobalRisk Community member, Our community’s mission is to foster business, networking and educational explorations among members. Learn from some of the top experts in the industry as they clearly explain how to approach the most important Risk management concepts. Check out their expert tips and use the link at the end of each article to navigate back to the website to leave your comment or ask a question.   Some of the topics include: How do you Explain Risk Appetite?  How to Prepare a…

Read more…
16 Replies · Reply by GlobalRiskCommunity Mar 21
Views: 888

About Us

The GlobalRisk Community is a thriving community of risk managers and associated service providers. Our purpose is to foster business, networking and educational explorations among members. Our goal is to be the worlds premier Risk forum and contribute to better understanding of the complex world of risk.

Business Partners

For companies wanting to create a greater visibility for their products and services among their prospects in the Risk market: Send your business partnership request by filling in the form here!

lead