The 2nd Annual RiskMinds USA Conference will be held on 13 - 17  June 2011 I will be attending this conference on behalf of the GlobalRisk community and will report back with key observations and discussions from the conference. 

I am opening this forum to ask for the questions you wish to be asked at the sessions, or from the delegates.  I will do my best to pose these questions and report the responses back to our community.  GlobalRisk is working with the conference organizers to arrange interviews with specific speakers.  The agenda is rich, broad and includes:

- Articulating, Setting & Embedding Risk Appetite
- Risk Governance, Non-Executive Oversight & The Relationship Between The Board Of Directors And The CRO
- Effusing A Culture Of Risk Management Throughout The Business
- Building A Holistic Risk Management Framework
- Defining How Risk Managers Can Add Value In The New Austere Environment

Please use this forum to submit the questions you would like me to ask and also point out the specific speakers that are of of interest to you.

You can find the conference information in our community posts and on the conference information site: http://globalriskcommunity.com/events/riskminds-usa

You need to be a member of Global Risk Community to add comments!

Join Global Risk Community

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Glenn,

Great question.  I posed your question but do not have a clear answer for you.  However, I believe that when all the RiskMinds documents are posted, you will find what you are looking for -sorry if I can't be of more help.

Glenn Donovan said:

Why is the financial risk management field lagging related fields, such as computational economics and behavioral economics, in adopting simulation techniques like Agent Based Modeling to better predict severe swings in financial markets?

• Gerald,

It is fair to say that your view is widely shared.  The experts agree with you that for effective risk management, we must develop practical solutions to the business challenges and setting the appetite by the Board and calculating capital are elements of such good risk management, specially in a global, inter-dependent financial environment.

Gerald Wilson said:
    Have we lost our way as risk leaders. Shouldn't we be developing practical solutions to the business challenges instead of simply calculating economic capital or letting the Board develop the risk appetite?

• Rajarshi,

With regard to your question, McKinsey&Company has done a great review of this topic in collaboration with 44 global financial institutions of various sizes.  This report or the presentation slides were not made available to us.  However, it will probably be posted by the RiskMinds organizers and you can take a look at it.   The number that I recall is that depending on the size, jurisdiction and complexity of the institution, an average spend on Risk IT of $400MM in the next 5 years may be allocated in some institutions to meet the regulatory and best practices' requirements.

Rajarshi Banerjee said:

I would really like to understand what the market size or total IT spending for Risk Management in FSI is, and more specifically in banking. I've got estimates ranging from $4 bn to $40 bn and even more, so would want to know how Banking (and FSI) CROs define the risk management taxonomy for their institution.

Thanks

Rajarshi

• Connie,

In response to your question, the consensus is that there is no "silver bullet" in that the "frameworks" that institutions have in place should be sufficiently effective "IF" each element of the framework is carefully and transparently examined, implemented, monitored and revisited often for any additional "fixes" to meet the best practices and the new requirements.  In other words, the framework/programs should be nimble enough to adjust to the risk environment and well thought-through and robust enough to withstand the test of time, jurisdiction and new requirements.  None of the financial institutions that I heard speak about this topic had any new risk program element or infrastructure that would give us that "aha moment".  They basically use RCSA, BEIC, etc. and top down enforcement.  Thanks for your good question.

Connie Valencia said:

I have a 2 part question.  First, I would like to know the panel's opinion(s) on: What is the best source of information to gaining insight on a Corporation's risk environment?  Most common answers I've heard are:

1) industry standards / guidance

2) data / key metrics (i.e. product returns, employee turnover, # of complaints etc)

3) market trends (i.e. fuel fluctuation, currency exchange, industry average etc)

4) human intelligence (i.e. interview key employees / executives)

5) insurance broker / banker / lender etc

The second part to my question is: How do you a) obtain this information and b) how is the information analyzed or interpreted to make strategic risk mitigation decisions?   

Thanks,

Connie

• Yes, I should've clarified. I meant Financial Services Institutions comprising Banking, Capital Markets and Insurance.

Gerald Wilson said:
    Have we lost our way as risk leaders. Shouldn't we be developing practical solutions to the business challenges instead of simply calculating economic capital or letting the Board develop the risk appetite?
  • Why is the financial risk management field lagging related fields, such as computational economics and behavioral economics, in adopting simulation techniques like Agent Based Modeling to better predict severe swings in financial markets?
  • I have a 2 part question.  First, I would like to know the panel's opinion(s) on: What is the best source of information to gaining insight on a Corporation's risk environment?  Most common answers I've heard are:

1) industry standards / guidance

2) data / key metrics (i.e. product returns, employee turnover, # of complaints etc)

3) market trends (i.e. fuel fluctuation, currency exchange, industry average etc)

4) human intelligence (i.e. interview key employees / executives)

5) insurance broker / banker / lender etc

The second part to my question is: How do you a) obtain this information and b) how is the information analyzed or interpreted to make strategic risk mitigation decisions?   

Thanks,

Connie

• Have we lost our way as risk leaders. Shouldn't we be developing practical solutions to the business challenges instead of simply calculating economic capital or letting the Board develop the risk appetite?
  • Rajarshi, thank you -to clarify, by FSI you do mean financial services institutions?

Rajarshi Banerjee said:

I would really like to understand what the market size or total IT spending for Risk Management in FSI is, and more specifically in banking. I've got estimates ranging from $4 bn to $40 bn and even more, so would want to know how Banking (and FSI) CROs define the risk management taxonomy for their institution.

Thanks

Rajarshi

• I would really like to understand what the market size or total IT spending for Risk Management in FSI is, and more specifically in banking. I've got estimates ranging from $4 bn to $40 bn and even more, so would want to know how Banking (and FSI) CROs define the risk management taxonomy for their institution.

Thanks

Rajarshi

This reply was deleted.

[Free COVID-19 Framework] What's the path to recovery look like?

We created a free presentation (attached), which discusses both global and organizational impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, along with critical actions organizations should take immediately. This presentation introduces a framework that helps regions and organizations navigate a path to recovery via 9 potential scenarios. These scenarios capture outcomes related to GDP impact, public health response, and economic policies. The presentation also breaks down 6 immediate and critical actions…

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Steve Diaz Jul 8, 2023
Views: 204

If risk management is about decision making, are current risk management solutions irrelevant?

Now that the updated COSO and ISO risk management standards emphasize a connection to enterprise objectives and decision making, does this mean ERM and GRC solutions focused on risk registers and regulatory compliance are missing the true value of risk management?Will current risk management solutions evolve to integrate more decision support functionality or will standalone prescriptive analytics and other technology solutions take a more prominent role in enabling risk-informed…

Read more…
3 Replies
Views: 129

A question related to classification of instruments between trading and banking book.

We have an interesting question from one of our members.       "We usually perform OTC FX transactions with clients backed-to-back on the market (with Banks). Now we are going to perform a FX swap (i.e. Spot + forward) JPY/EUR for the Bank account for 1 week at the longest. The purpose is to get EUR place @ CB for LCR compliance purpose (no trading purposes). Bank's Management think that this should be considered as a trading position and therefore be classified within the Bank's trading book.…

Read more…
5 Replies · Reply by Prisha Singh Dec 26, 2023
Views: 309

Plunging oil prices: curse or blessing in disguise?

The recent sudden crash of oil prices has had a major impact on the world economy, leading to many troubled faces in the international arena. The Russians fear the effects of yet another powerful hit on their economy, Venezuela seems to be considering default and the Americans are weary of the consequences for its young and emerging shale oil industry. And then you have the Middle East, where the smallest match is enough to ignite the largest fire. But are these worries really justified or…

Read more…
1 Reply
Views: 90

Introducing the Global Risk Series - Book 1 Risk Management How Tos

Dear GlobalRisk Community member, Our community’s mission is to foster business, networking and educational explorations among members. Learn from some of the top experts in the industry as they clearly explain how to approach the most important Risk management concepts. Check out their expert tips and use the link at the end of each article to navigate back to the website to leave your comment or ask a question.   Some of the topics include: How do you Explain Risk Appetite?  How to Prepare a…

Read more…
16 Replies · Reply by GlobalRiskCommunity Mar 21
Views: 888

About Us

The GlobalRisk Community is a thriving community of risk managers and associated service providers. Our purpose is to foster business, networking and educational explorations among members. Our goal is to be the worlds premier Risk forum and contribute to better understanding of the complex world of risk.

Business Partners

For companies wanting to create a greater visibility for their products and services among their prospects in the Risk market: Send your business partnership request by filling in the form here!

lead