Here is why High Voltage Cables are trending in the industry. We need to know about the high voltage cables, their types, components, advantages, and disadvantages in their application. The demand for electricity is increasing with the increase in population, therefore its proper supply must be guaranteed. For the supply of electricity over long distances, there is a necessity for high voltage cables. The properties of these cables make them effective and efficient for the transmission and also minimize power loss in long-distance transmission. The inclination towards the use of renewable energy such as solar energy and wind energy involves the construction of new power grids. The replacement of old power grids by a new transmission line will increase the demand for high voltage cables.
What are High Voltage cables?
Before knowing about the high voltage cables, we need to understand what is high voltage? The amount of voltage power that is above a threshold range is called high voltage. The voltage power that exceeds 1000 volts is considered as high voltage and is dangerous for living beings. High voltage is used for electrical transmission over long distances, so as to reduce the loss of current.
High voltage cables are used to transmit electric power at high voltage. As these cables are fully insulated, they ensure the safety of the living being. The high voltage causes electric shock that may be fatal for them. It consists of an inner conductor that remains insulated from outside. The conductor carries high voltage and for that purpose, more resistant cables are required which can bear high voltage.
Components of High Voltage Cables
High voltage cables primarily consist of conductor and insulation. Apart from these, there many other components such as conductor shield, non-metallic insulation screen, metallic insulation screen, laying up, inner sheath and outer sheath are also present.
Modern High Voltage Cables are simpler and consist of less number of parts. This includes conductors, conductor shield, insulation shield, metallic shield, joints, and jackets. Functions of these components are as follows:
- Circular copper or aluminium conductors are responsible for carrying short circuit current and have a continuous load.
- The conductor shield is made up of semiconductor material. It reduces the chance of electric current discharge at the interface of conductor and insulation.
- All the insulation parts consist of polymers that provide protection to the conductor. It ensures better transmission of high voltage with minimum loss.
- The cable jackets are made up of polymeric compounds that prevent moisture and saves the cable from getting eroded. It also minimizes chemical invasion that increases the lifespan of cables.
Types of cables
Cables are used to transmit electrical energy. They safely supply electricity from the power source to different loads. Different cables are designed accordingly to achieve this purpose.
- Rubber cables, that are made up of oil products or rubber obtained from tropical trees. They are very liable to damage as it absorbs moisture.
- Rubber cables are modified to form vulcanized rubber cable. In this type of cables, rubber is mixed with mineral compounds like zinc, lead, or sulfur. Vulcanized rubber cables are more durable are have higher mechanical strength compared to rubber cables.
- Polyvinyl chloride cables have good dielectric strength. It is tough and durable as polyvinyl chloride is used for insulation.
Advanced cables such as Polychoroprene cables, XLPE cables, MICC cables, and PILSWA cables are widely used. Polychloroprene cables are resistant to heat and are more durable. XLPE cables stand for cross-linked poly-ethene cables that are tolerant to a higher temperature and have good insulating properties. Mineral insulated copper-clad (MICC) cables are made by placing copper rods in a copper tube and the gap in between the two is filled by magnesium oxide powder. PILSWA cables are mostly preferred for the underground cable system as the lead sheath covering aids in protecting the cables from corrosion, penetration by chemical, and increase their lifespan.
The specifications of High Voltage Cables
- The features of high voltage cables make it special in terms of working efficiency with specific switching and distribution panels.
- The supply of high voltage from these cables can be regulated from control rooms and at the same time can be easily monitored remotely.
- The sub-stations lowers the voltage in the high voltage cables to supply the electricity in local areas. These are a few specifications of high voltage cables.
Advantages and disadvantages
- There are many advantages of high voltage cables. It can transmit electricity to longer distances. By using these cables, there is almost negligible loss of current due to leakage as it is highly insulated. High Voltage Cable also minimizes damage to living beings.
- The stability problem is almost zero and has a higher carrying capacity. Voltage can be regulated in power centers and sub-stations.
- The high cost of High Voltage Cables is a major restraint in its application. The installation cost is also high that makes it challenging to use without having good funds. These are a few disadvantages of high voltage cables. But regarding performance, it has no discrepancies.
The bigger picture:
The High Voltage Cable Market has been witnessing rapid growth as the electricity demand is increasing with increasing population. The setting up of small and large scale industries and companies requires the supply of electricity that puts an additional demand in the supply. With the increase in disposable money, people are getting more dependent on the internet, the use of mobile phones, laptops, and desktops, further increases the need for electricity. All these factors have a good impact on the High Voltage Cable market.
Due to the shift towards the renewable source of energy, there is a replacement of old grids networks. The establishment of a new transmission line is an important factor that is driving the growth of the high voltage cable market in the coming years. The increase in trade between two countries increasing the setup of overhead, submarine as well as an underground transmission line that is expected to facilitates better communication between the countries. This is predicted to increase the demand for the production of high voltage cables and in turn, drive the growth of the market.